Thursday, September 14, 2017

Arriving in Santorini 7/18

Santorini is a small sliver of an island in a jagged uneven crescent shape.  Unlike the other islands my daughter and I traveled, the inhabitants of this island live on top of the mountain, not at the bottom. When we arrived with the BlueStar Ferry we had arranged for a ride to the place we were staying. The ride was a large bus, almost like a greyhound bus.... that was the local transportation system.  Since I wanted my daughter to experience what if feels like to be "real" tourist I booked a room in the heart of Fira.  Now, the bus must zigzag up the mountain to get to the city.(a bit scary!) The driver MUST know what he is doing because every so often he stops to let the bus/car from the opposite direction pass before he continues.

So we get to a busy street and the bus driver tell us to get off, walk up the narrow steep pathway, take a left, take a right, and keep walking to get to Vina's place, which is a small hotel I rented a room in. As we dragged our small suitcases up the cobblestone pathway's to Vina's Place, the lady was waiting for us out by the gate to greet us which was nice.  I think she questioned our relationship though, and asked if we were SURE wanted separate beds.... I assured her we did, and explained that she was ACTUALLY my daughter....

Our room reminded me of my grandmothers room when she was alive. The old antiquated chairs, beds and wardrobe cabinet.  Over all it was clean and nice enough.  Did I mention the further away from Athens the less and less internet connection we had even though it said connected????  I did not get any internet the entire time in that room.



on the zig zag road on the bus looking back at our Ferry

that really is as steep as it looks! 
I did not tilt my phone.
By the way this was the mode of transportation of the (older) lady that owned the hotel 

looking up at our balcony

our room




No comments:

Post a Comment