Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Studio in the works

             I thought by now I would have a fully functioning studio. Well, it's going to take a while since I don't want to work in a box. I need natural light, which in turn means, I need windows to be created and installed. In addition to the "natural light" expense, I still need to get the electrician to wire the studio, so I can use my tools.  I have waited more than a decade to get my own space to work in and it seems that it requires some extra time and whole lot more money than I originally thought.  I hope this "project" can be completed by summer so I can can start working.

             On another note, I found out yesterday that after this semester I will need four more classes to graduate with an associates degree in fine arts with a concentration of drawing and painting.  The funny thing is, they won't let me continue with drawing and painting classes, my requirement is design, go figure. Maybe I'll be able to apply the design classes to my glass work. I know that I really don't need a degree to be an artist, but the accomplishment of completing a degree will  bring me satisfaction.  Hopefully, in the future, I'll be able to take this piece of paper and continue on to something bigger and better.

These are the colors that I have chosen to go on the walls (pale yellow) and ceiling (pale blue). I have also picked a pale green to go in the trimming and some of the work tables.  I want to feel as if I'm outside.


Saturday, February 9, 2013

Success..... finally!

This week I finally and successfully completed a 10" plate with Blue Himalayan Poppies, that I feel is worthy to donate for auction at Say Si!

If your in the San Antonio area, please check out the Say Si auction "Small Scale Work for a Larger Cause"  for details on dates and ticket prices!  Hope to see you there!

                                         Glass fused 10" plate with Blue Himalayan Poppies.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Say Si artwork & workshop update

        It's amazing how time passes so quickly. We're already in February and I feel like I should have accomplished a bit more in January.

          In regards to the Say Si auction, I designed my first plate and didn't care for it after I finished.  The second plate, as I mentioned in my previous post, had a few mishaps.  In my latest setback, after I fixed the size of it, I didn't wait until it was thoroughly dry before I started the kiln to slump it in the mold.  Glass artists know when there is any moisture in the kiln, it can trap the moisture and create bubbles. The design turned out really nice, except for the bubbles. I have until February 16th to deliver my  artwork to Say Si.  I'm going back to cutting board this week with a new design.

I'm not one to shy away from showing my disasters so here they are:

 As you can see, the bubbles rise under each flower........ (2nd plate)

The placement of the small bud on the bottom is something that just doesn't look right....... and I don't like the blue frit against the black & red. (1st plate)

Okay, so onto the update of my workshop.  Friday I picked up the paint, thinking that today I would be painting the walls and the ceiling.  Not so, tape, float and sanding are still occurring in there right now as I type.  At this moment I'm just happy that it's being worked on :)

Have a wonderful February!!!