Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Death Bed

There is a man on his death bed at age 84.  He is dying of terminal lung cancer.  I'm surprised he lasted this long smoking three packs a day.... He was a mobster, gun runner, convicted murderer and my father.

He was in my life for brief moments at a time.. and then years would pass before I would hear from him or see him. He was always in a shirt, tie, slacks and dress shoes. He was charismatic and spoke seven languages. He once told me that I should learn all the languages I could so people wouldn't be smiling and talking in front of me while they planned my murder in their native tongue.
He was Zois Shuttie's nemesis and blamed him for the destruction of his entire family. He was my father.

I'm not sure how I feel about this news, or him... he's on his death bed in the mountains of Kosovo.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Drita, this is so complicated. Wishing you strength, clarity, peace.

    ReplyDelete