Tuesday, March 26, 2019

New beginnings and an unexpected trip

So this is how the story goes......
My daughter graduated college in 2017 with a 5 year degree in Architecture. The 5 year plan allows her to take the tests to become a licensed architect right after graduation (as long as she passes the tests). A 4 year degree in architecture only allows a person to become licensed after they go back to school and receive their Masters, unless they spend a long time (years) as an apprentice. I assumed my daughter was going on the path of getting her license as she worked for the firm she is currently employed at. Not so. Never assume anything, it makes oneself an ass for assuming.  My daughter, who had no interest in glass while growing up announced that she wants to get her Masters degree in Glass Blowing!  Wow!!!  What can I say?  Obviously, GO FOR IT!!!

She applied to 3 schools and got in to her 1st choice, Rhode Island School of Design! They only accept an average of 4 graduate students per year for the glass program, and she was one of them. I am very proud of her for following her dreams!

So with this we planned a quick trip to Providence, Rhode Island.  I booked a beautiful 2 bedroom apartment named "Olney the Lonely" through Airbnb, and was not disappointed. The home was built in 1880 and the owner refurbished it in 2017. It was beautiful! I had a favorite spot to sit and drink my coffee in the mornings. It was a nook in the kitchen where I looked out the windows as people passed by walking their dogs, or going to school. People watching isn't common in the subdivision where I currently live in since nobody walks anywhere.

Nook in kitchen
you can't see it from this picture, but there was some left over snow still on the ground in a few spots.

 kitchen
 Dining room
Living room

We arrived late Monday night as our earlier flight got cancelled due to the mandatory grounding of the Max 8 planes. On Tuesday and Wednesday my daughter was shadowing other students in the classes, studios and hot shops so we didn't get to see her during those 2 days.  Meanwhile her boyfriend had come along with us on this trip, so I felt kind of bad that he was stuck with me and my husband for that whole time.  The good thing was that we like him, and he likes us too. 

On Tuesday we pretty much stayed around Providence and absorbed the city.  It was like stepping back in time. The buildings were ornate, the streets were narrow and it was very quaint.  They still had winter hours on most of the shops  11am-5pm.  I did find a used book store that was open, Stages of Freedom and met a very interesting man named Ray Rickman.  He was like a walking encyclopedia of information and was a past Rhode Island State Representative. The bookstore funds swimming lessons for children of color.  I kind of questioned the swimming lessons in my mind because it's sooooo cold in Rhode Island, but when I read his story, I understood why.  You can read it here.  He is a true activist.

On Wednesday, while my daughter was busy we drove to the Newport Car Museum in Portsmouth, RI.  I had a semi private tour, only because I asked the person who was standing watch a bunch of questions.  He happily took me around while my husband and the boyfriend went their separate ways.  I did find out some interesting tidbits about the museum. For one thing, the museum is privately owned by a couple that lives in Newport.  They own 70 cars they showcase. A couple of the 22 ' Cadillac's from the 1950's were involved in their children's weddings. The have a car with pocket doors,1954 Kaiser Darrin that Lucille Ball drove. I won't bore you with a bunch of pictures of expensive cars, but I will share with you my favorite and also the left leg rest chair. For a plastic chair it was very comfortable!
my favorite car

pretty cool chair!

Our next stop was to the town of Newport where all the old HUGE mansions are.  The coast line was beautiful, and 95% of the stores and restaurants were still closed for the season. Season starts April 1st.  I would love to go back in the summer!





On Thursday, when we were supposed to leave to come back home, our flight got cancelled, not once but twice so we decided to extend our vacation and drive to NY and see family. I re-booked the tickets to leave out of NY on Saturday and just prayed they wouldn't cancel. Our extended family lives in Rockaway Beach which is a great place to be in the summer! it was rainy and COLD when we arrived but it cleared up on Friday so we were able to enjoy the day. 
 the new "boardwalk" built after Sandy destroyed the wooden one. 

 the boyfriend, daughter and hubby

my cousin and me

I look forward to the new adventure my daughter will have and hope to visit RI while she is there.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment