Friday, March 29, 2019

It was meant to be

During my trip to Rhode Island I picked up an old local magazine and started fliping thruogh it.  I came across an article about a local artist name Edward Fay.  He was retired from the coast guard, and retired from fishing. He turned to painting and carving out sculptures.  In the his photograph he was a smiling gentleman with white hair holding a wooden whale that he had carved.

When we went day tripping to Newport RI, 95% of the shops were closed for the season except the Armory Antique Marketplace. So of course we went in to check it out. There were beautiful nautical painting in the walls and treasures to be explored. As I walked down one of the isles I couldn't help but notice two small wooden carved whales mounted on  flat stones. I recognized the whales from the article I had read. Then I asked the shop keeper if they were Ed Fay's artwork and she did confirm that they were his.  Then she proceeded to tell me more about his life and showed me all his paintings on the walls as well. It was so touching, I felt a connection with him. I purchased both whales, one for each of my son's that weren't with us on this trip. It was just meant to be


No comments:

Post a Comment