Sunday, March 5, 2017

Empty bowls

Today was the 17th annual SAMMinistries "empty bowls" fundraiser at The Southwest School of Arts. The fundraiser is all about helping the homeless in our community. Every year the San Antonio Pottery guild members donate pottery bowls for the fundraiser, and the last few years the San Antonio Glass art guild started to participate by donating glass bowls.  People come out pick a bowl or bowls, pay $20 for each bowl then get a ticket for each bowl they purchased and get a bowl of soup and bread from one of the many restaurants around town that donate the soup. (The soup is served in to go containers, if you were wondering, not in the bowls purchased) . There were over 2500 bowls donataed and the event was held from 11-2 today. I got there with my hubby about noon and most of the bowls were gone! I found out through some of my friends that were volunteering today that there was a rush of people when the gates opened at 11am and 80% of the glass bowls were gone within the first 5 minutes! At least there was still somewhat of a variety of pottery bowls to pick from.   My husband and I always have fun each picking a bowl for ourselves and eating great soup for lunch!  It's a wonderful way to participate for a good cause. This year was the first time that they completely sold out of bowls!!!!!

My bowl

My hubby's bowl

No comments:

Post a Comment