Thursday, September 11, 2014

Alone time, quality time, adventure

We had a death in the family so my husband and his brother left town to take care of everything. I was left at home alone. This was the first time in many years that I was totally alone.

On Saturday, I had an appointment with the volunteer coordinator at the local emergency children's center to check out the facilities and see if I could volunteer some of my time holding babies.  I  figured the babies need love and I could to provide some love to them. I filled out the application, and now waiting for my final reference to come back so I can send it in.

When I left the appointment it was already lunch time and I thought of Bakery Lorraine. Thank you techy people who created the navigation system in my car! 14 minutes later and I was there!  I ordered a grill pressed sandwich that consisted of spinach, sun dried tomato, Fontina and goat cheese on thick slices of sourdough bread. Yum!!!
Treated myself to a salted caramel macaroon as well. Lunch was absolutely scrumptious!

One of the nice things about eating alone is getting to read. I picked up the Current and scanned for things to do.  I ended up at a Pagan Pride Day festival that afternoon. Never been to one before, so I figured, what the hell, I don't have anything else to do! So off I went and browsed the arts and crafts, candles and baths salts. Not much to the festival, they all kind of reminded me of a crowd of friendly hippies.

Sunday, I spent the afternoon at the McNay art museum. Wandering around, enjoying the new exhibit "Intimate Impressionism". They had a real treat that afternoon, French themed food and a movie. Croissant sandwiches, cheese and crackers, french cookies, fruit and drinks. Everything was so good! The food was followed by the 3pm showing of Je T'aime. One of my absolute favorite movies, or should I say 18 short films in one. I must have seen it at least 5 times before, but thought it would be nice to see on a big screen with a bunch of strangers :)

As I passed one of the drawings in the museum it made me smile so I thought I' share!

                                        "Art Lovers" 1939 by Adolph Dehn (1895-1968)


No comments:

Post a Comment