Sunday, April 2, 2017

Art show and artists

The 55th annual starving artist show, that is what I participated in this weekend. Over two hundred artist participated. Saturday was a slooowwww, cloudy with some rain showers throughout the day and I only made one sale for $5.......it felt like a very long day, Sunday morning we got some major thunder storms that passed through and then the sun came out about 11am and it was a beautiful day! People actually came out to the event and shopped! I shared a space with a friend of mine since I really didn't have enough to fill a 10'x10'. I am so glad that she was there and agreed to share the space since we both had to pay the full entry fee even on shared spaces. Her work is amazing, both her pottery and her glass. We both had a successful weekend and I enjoyed her company. This is my table:
This is Linda's table:
In addition to our entry fee 10% of all our sales go to the La Vallita church to feed the hungry. Its a great fund raiser since they serve mostly the elderly and disabled on fixed incomes. With my 10% put aside from my sales, I did a little shopping for myself. Two booths over from us, a young, very talented oil painter was painting an ocean scene, I glanced over to a completed lake scene and asked for a price fully expecting it to be well over my price range. He stunned me when he said $30! I bought it, and had to force him to sign his piece... he said he didn't like his name or the way his signature came out so he doesn't sign his pieces. I think he actually lost a couple of customers because of this.... I hope he decides to start signing his artwork. His name is Brandon Treacy. Here it is 18"x 14":
I also bought four pottery bowl from a man across from us. I asked him how his sales were going and they weren't great. He had family and friends buy, along with a couple of repeat customers. all of his pottery was the same color, different designs, lead free, very well made, and he didn't have prices on them. I asked for prices and again I was floored how reasonable they were. I bought four bowls (6"diameter) at $4.00 each...
So the topper on my day was friend who was selling at the show came by and gave me a gift! A matted print of one of her BEAUTIFUL pieces!!!!!!!!! I was over the moon! Thank you Katrina!!! Katrina is a fabric/rope artists with her own style. I have never seen anything like it before, and I love her work! Here is a picture of my print and Katrina Gorman's website is here

1 comment: