Saturday, April 2, 2016

Adventure and books!

Today was the most adventurous day I have had in a VERY long time. Before I get into my adventure I want to mention that I am the type of person that forgets where I parked my car in the parking lot of a super market.

The 4th annual book festival was today, with over 90 authors scheduled to speak throughout the day. I had my marked schedule in hand with all the authors I wanted to see and listen too. The first one, scheduled at 10am, was Austin Kleon "Steal like an artist". I was pretty excited, leaving the house a few minutes early to allow time to park and wander around for a bit. Well, half way there, on the highway, construction.....0-5 miles per hour.....for what seemed forever!!!!! Four lanes down to ONE!

 After getting through the construction zone and finally arriving to my destination,  I needed to find parking. Okay, so I figured I would be a few minutes late for the 10 am Author..... not so, as I circled to find parking, I went deeper into downtown, with their notorious one way streets........  I finally found a lot with a space for $6 for the day, not bad..... However, they only take cash, in a slot, without an attendant, and I only had a twenty..... So I asked a couple of construction workers if they could break a 20, and they couldn't but they directed me to a bar across the street. The bartender graciously broke my 20 as couple of older, intoxicated patrons invited me for a beer, by poking my shoulder and pointing to the table with the beer on it (LOL!), I declined holding up my coffee.

By this time, I missed the first author, was late for the second author, and had to take pictures to landmark the streets along the way to the festival so I could find my car at the end of the day! SO, Now I need to find my way to the library where the festival was at from where I parked. I see a young man walking towards me, with his head phones on, I stop him and ask"can you tell me how to get to the library", in turn  he holds out his hand with change and tells me tells me he has no other money to give me. to which I said to him "I do NOT want your money. I want to find the library." He smiled and apologized and told me he couldn't hear me over his music and directed me the way to go. As I walked away I wondered if I looked that bad or desperate that he thought I wanted his money.......

Overall I was a bit frazzled, and felt lost but I wanted to enjoy my day, and I was not disappointed.

The third author on my list, Dr. James R. Doty spoke eloquently and had my full attention, as he spoke of mediation, living in the moment, compassion, heart break and how certain foods can affect our emotions. I was so glad that I had the opportunity to listen to him and I look forward to reading his book, "Into the Magic Shop" a neurosurgeons quest to discover the mysteries of the brain and the secrets of the heart. 

After purchasing my books and getting them autographed, I got myself roasted corn on the cob, fresh squeezed lemonade and a picture with Moonpie!!!! Moonpie reminds me of my friend Skeeter!!

I also had the opportunity to go to 1100 Broadway, a hidden gem in plain sight...... I will post about that later...

I think Gloria was the bartender

two blocks from my car

4 blocks from my car


Me & MoonPie 



No comments:

Post a Comment