Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"Do-Over"

As an artist, sometimes I create things and I rush myself to complete the project at hand. Not because I just want it done, but because I'm excited to be creating it, and can't wait to get it the person who requested it.
Well, when I do that, things don't always turn out the way they are suppose to.

The contemporary leaded glass was one of those projects. The measurements were slightly off and I felt my craftsmanship wasn't 100%, but I was excited to be "finished" and handed it over(with a slight pit in my stomach) to my friend that commission it from me .  Her husband was suppose to create a frame and they decided not too, so she asked me if I could put "hooks" on it. Of course I agreed, because I really wanted it back so I can make it right!.  As soon as I got it back, I sent her an apology, returned her check, and told her that I would be re-doing the window and to give me until Christmas. I think she was a little disappointed because she was happy with the piece, but she agreed (what could she do since the window was now back in my possession).

I tore it apart, with a loss of  just a few pieces of glass. I decided that I would use the Tiffany technique of copper foil instead of lead. I took my time, I measured, measured again, and kept measuring until I completed it!

I brought it to her on Monday with perfect measurements and NOTHING was off! Merry early Christmas! I was happy, she was happy, and it now hangs in a space where everyone can see it that goes into her home. It was a REQUIRED do-over for me. I feel much better as a person, and as an artist.

Lessons learned:
1. Slow down
2. If I don't feel good about it, do it over before I hand it over!




No comments:

Post a Comment