Friday, October 29, 2021

Mosaic window planter

 Every day I'm doing a little something for the studio. My husband thought it would be nice to have a planter box on the side window, and at first I was hesitant because I thought the mositure from the dirt and flowers would be deterimental but he he built a cute frame that fit a plastic pot perfectly.  I thought I would add some color to it by creating a small mosiac and attaching it to the frame.  I purchased a 1/4" x 4" poplar board and cut it into three so I could have side mosaics as well.  I used stained glass for the flowers and background, and transparent light blue little glass globs from Hobby Lobby in the middle. At first I wasn't sure what I was going to do after I glued th glass globs, but then flowers made sense and I already had 1/2" glass squares cut from another mosaic project I did a few years back.  So I grinded down the square glass for petals and then cut the green 1/2" glass squates into 1/4" squares for the background

It took me a few afternoons to get everything cut, glued and grouted.  My husband installed it yesterday evening and I need to paint the edges to get a cleaner finish on it.  Over all I'm pretty pleased with it, and I hope it lasts for a while. 

The nest step is getting the estimate for the electriciton.... can't use a kiln without electrictity.  


Georgie has to inspect the work












2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I think when spring comes along I may add some colorful metal butterflies on the building!

      Delete